Heard that famous proverb- When in Rome do as the Romans do.
Well, it is applicable to India as well. Just kidding. We all know what this proverb means. Don’t we ?
There are few things that are legal and yet you can not do that in India. Sad, ain’t it?
Today I will be listing out all such things that you must not do in our country and places with some weird restrictions.
- Public display of affection in India is a no no. You will be stared upon, call it cheap or sit in India, in public places you do not kiss or PDA.
- We are the land that introduced the world to Kamasutra but it is a taboo here to speak about sex and sex education.
- Menstrual cycle! Sigh, what do I say? One of the sure things that is a taboo in India for women is entering and/or offering prayers/worship at certain temples/places of worship. Why is this practiced? Is it the tradition that we don’t or can’t break?
- Smile at people as a form of greeting but avoid, handshakes unless the other person is the first one to initiate.
- There are few temples where non-Hindus aren’t allowed. Some of them include :
- Kapaleshwar temple(Tamilnadu)
- Jagganath temple(Orissa)
Just these five things that you as a traveler need to know. The culture and rich heritage , visit us and you shall experience it.
P.S. : India is not the only country with restrictions on non-Hindus being allowed into temples. Malaysia, Thailand to name a few only allows natives into the holy place.